Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Dante's 5th circle of hell - flex spending

Flex spending is a wonderful thing.  Go to the Doctor and just pay with your card..no problem..no worries about having to keep track of all receipts.  Swipe and go.  Each member of the family has their own but with a few computer strokes I can keep track of all balances.  But then it happens.

The first email states they are questioning your purchase of new glasses.  OK went to the opthamologist, then picked out glasses and Rx sunglasses.  I have pretty good insurance so I swipe and go.  Three months later I get the email.  They want proof of my prescription glass refill.  I call and they tell me that they need to make sure that the glasses were purchased..sigh.  OK receipt pulled out and faxed over.

Two days later guess what I get.  A email requesting proof of both of my daughters glasses.  Same doctor and same place we purchase glasses.  Except the girls file and keep track of their bills til tax time.  Call the eye doctor and no problem they will print out the receipt and I can pick them up tomorrow or better yet they will fax them right there as long as I bring in the telephone number and sign the cover sheet.  No problem will take care of that tomorrow.

Just now I am thinking I was able to handle all of it and solve it with no problem.  Til I just signed on the computer.  They are questioning my doctor prescribed vitamin.  Sigh.  I will call the doctors office in the morning plus send a copy of the order that was filled through the pharmacist.

I am sure there are plenty of ways to get around flex spending regulations but truthfully I have enough bills that I need to make sure the money goes where it is supposed to be.  They assure me they have paid them but now I need to prove everything or repay the flex card myself.  Don't get me wrong I am happy to have it, I use it as I need it.  But what in the world could I buy at the eye doctors that wouldn't have been covered.  And really of all our medication they pick out prescription vitamins.

I know it, I hear every day how medical care and insurance companies and flex companies are rushing to cover their own behinds.  Maybe it would just be easier to send out the receipt as soon as I receive it.

Or I will just keep my mouth shut, be glad that we are offered flex and go on with my life all in all it is just a mild inconvenience.

1 comment:

  1. I hate insurance companies. All of them. Google their CEO salaries and it will make you sick. But they're happy to put you through hell.

    ReplyDelete